Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Waterskiing Squirrel: It's true...

Twiggy the Water Skiing Squirrel

 
 
 
Those of you who have spent any great amount of time around me or my blog know that I definitely have a soft spot for animals. I was devastated last year when my pet Fat Duck died, and I have a pond filled with between a hundred and two hundred ducks right now. We also have a rabbit, dog and two cats...not to mention the myriad spiders and other crawlies that you might think were pets by the way I refuse to kill them and gently put them out when finding them.

 I recently discovered Twiggy, who is an actual, real-life water skiing squirrel. After a little research, I learned that Twiggy is actually a persona worn by eight or more squirrels trained by Chuck and Lou Ann Best of Deltona Florida. It all started when they found an orphan squirrel in the wake of Hurricane David. The little guy soon became a beloved family pet who was, as a joke, trained to ride on a slab of floating Styrofoam behind a remote controlled boat. His trick became so popular with friends and neighbors that the Bests decided to let him make an appearance on Real People, the NBC reality TV show that aired from 1979 to 1984. International perennial fame has followed, and as each Twiggy retires to comfortable home-petdom, a new Twiggy is trained to take his place.
  Bones in the Tree (A comical and touching look at life and dating after divorce)
A female lead, lots of comical dating and an emotional ending; do you want to read about another pet squirrel?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! :-)