Sunday, March 10, 2013

Interview with author Scarlet James about her novel Uncontrolled Desires....




 
 

 Today, in the Forum, I have the pleasure of introducing the versatile and busy author Scarlet James, who is here to talk about her novel Uncontrolled Desires.
 
 
Tim Greaton: To a lot of people, Scarlet, you seem to be an overachiever. Could you explain to our audience what I mean?  
 
Scarlet James: Sure. I recently graduated from ICDC with an Associate’s degree in Homeland Security. Now, I am pursuing my certificate in Public Relations to better understand the business of entertainment and media.  I am very goal oriented and have recently started my own entertainment business as well. I currently manage a singer who performs songs by Conway Twitty.
 
 
Tim Greaton: Where you also so busy in childhood?
 
Scarlet James: Well to be honest, yes. I was pretty much a tomboy growing up, but my interests expanded when my truck driver dad took me with him one summer. Being a teenager stuck in a big rig wasn’t all that pleasant, but while seeing the country I discovered that I had a knack for writing stories. Once home, I got involved in theatre as well as writing. I loved it. I was also busy with sports, and especially loved high school basketball. Adding to all of that, I was a member of the police explorers in my home town when I was about 14 or 15 maybe.
 
Tim Greaton: A lot of writers point to a particular relative who positively influenced their career. That wasn’t true for you, though, was it?
 
Scarlet James: Growing up I never had any role models or positive influences. I tried to hide my writing efforts but once they were discovered, I was down-graded and insulted by my family members. To be honest, those barbs pushed me to keep working. I knew that I had something resembling a gift at a young age, and I try every day to get back to that place. From time to time I still get negative remarks, but rather than let those naysayers get me down, I work that much harder to prove them wrong.
 
Tim Greaton: As if you didn’t have enough going on, you have also started an online venture. Could you tell us about that?
 
Scarlet James: I am in the midst of building an online magazine site. Once fully established, we will also release print versions of each edition.
 
Tim Greaton: So, I understand that you had a mix of sports and art interests in your background, but what led you to pursue a degree in Homeland Security?
 
Scarlet James: Computers were always easy for me, and my teen work with the police gave me an interest in profiling and criminal investigations. I also learned a certain police-caution, which gives me a second sense about suspicious behavior and when things are not quite right. Sometimes, I can even guess how events might turn out.
 
Tim Greaton: What kinds of books do you read? Are they in the same genres in which you write?
 
Scarlet James: When I have time, I love to read Nicholas Sparks, Danielle Steele and Stephen King as well as a few others. I like to mix it up as I do with my writing. I write in different genres, depending on my mood at the time.
 
Tim Greaton: You have a deep enjoyment for travel. How does that influence your writing?
 
Scarlet James:  I really got inspired while on the road with my parents for two months. I did a lot of writing during that period, and it allowed my mind to open up. One especially inspiring trip took place when I was 17 in Florida. Something about the beach air and the ocean makes me come alive. I did some of my best writing while sitting on the beach overlooking the ocean and open sky. A lot of years have passed since then but two years ago, while in South Carolina, I experienced a similar awakening. That’s when I began the novel I’m working on now.
 
Tim Greaton: You’ve received a lot of positive comments about descriptions in your stories, but you also hear another comment fairly often. Could you share that with us?
 
Scarlet James: My early readers commented about the creativity and surprising detail in the seven books I wrote in a five-year period. One of those books has now been published. I’ve tried to build on that creativity and attention to detail. I now work with an agent who was especially surprised how well I write about the feelings of characters with the opposite sex. She encouraged me to keep that up as well....
 
Don't miss the rest of Tim's fascinating interview with author Scarlet James at
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! :-)